Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Call to be Satisfied With the One Who Fills


For those of you who know or attend my church, I have been preaching the last 4 months through the Gospel of Mark. It has been spiritually invigorating for me. I think the reason why is that I am getting a deeper snapshot of who Jesus is and am finding myself increasingly distanced from the temporal fallen world that I live in. Isn’t that the way it’s supposed to be? Is it not true that when we “see and savor” Jesus Christ for who He really is, our appetites ought to change? We should hunger and thirst for the One who is the Bread of Life and who quenches our thirst with living water. Furthermore, our taste buds change, and the sinful world we live in seems less appealing, unable to satisfy, almost foreign to us.

I hope this is what is happening to me. When I make a statement about how much I long for the 2nd Coming of Christ, I sometimes have to qualify it by saying that it doesn’t mean that I want “out” of my joyful life with my wife and kids or the ministry God has called me to. What I’m saying is that I long for the resolution that God has promised. I desire to see His wonderful plan of redemption unfolded and consummated in fullness – and at the height of it is seeing Jesus for who He is in all of His glory and splendor.

“Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.” 1 John 3:2

My prayer is that I would become much more aware of those times in my life when I am settling for less than God’s best. Those things will never really satisfy. I think the more you look at Jesus, I think the more you become aware of those distractions, those fillers that really leave you wanting. I think more and more I agree with John Piper, who said, “God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.”

His is the Bread of Life. And I’ve always loved bread. So I guess that’s where I ought to look and be filled.

No comments: